Friday, September 20, 2013

Serve and Be Served

Last Friday Cameron and I went out to dinner. I came home from work, not really in the mood to cook, and Cameron had finished a week of two medical exams. Plus it was a Friday, so why not treat ourselves to a little night out? We went to California Pizza Kitchen and split a Thai salad and the Habanero Carnitas pizza. (Both were excellent by the way.) At the end of our meal we went to pay and the hostess told us that another guest had covered our meal, and we were good to go. I told her that this was very kind and to please thank whoever did this for us.

It felt a little odd walking out of the restaurant. Cameron and I were completely stunned. We didn't see anyone we knew at the restaurant. We wondered if it might be someone in our ward, although we didn't notice anyone we knew. Many of the individuals in our ward are also students, so such a gift would have surely been a sacrifice. 

Perhaps someone saw us and thought we looked out of place. (We certainly weren't dressed up that night). Maybe someone heard us talking about budgeting? (Then again, we were in the very corner of the patio, with our backs towards other guests. This would have made our conversations difficult to hear). There are a few other scenarios that could have explained such a gesture, but none of it probably matters.

Someone wanted to do a kind deed.

Thank you. On the off chance you're reading this. Thank you. 

How wonderful to live in an area that sometimes gets a bad reputation, and yet find such kindness. This was at the second time that week in which a stranger had offered to cover my expenses. (Earlier in the week I stopped by 7-11 after work to get a soda for the train ride home. As I fumbled through my wallet to pull out the change, the individual behind me paid the difference, simply stating "pay it forward!"

Philadelphia - The City of Brotherly Love.



Sometimes it can feel odd to receive from others. But I believe that it is essential that we learn to receive service. When I was a missionary serving in New Mexico, it was hard to accept food sometimes. I remember my trainer teaching me that the individuals who gave should have access to the blessings that come from serving. Accepting service gives other individuals both blessings and growing experiences. The New Testament provides wonderful examples of the Savior both allowing others to serve him and also serving others. Did the Savior object to the woman who wanted to annoint Him with oil? Mark 14:3-9 No. He allowed her to continue to act on the goodness that was in her heart. According to the scriptures, He even requested that her story be told: "Wheresoever this gospel shall be preached throughout the whole world, this also that she hath done shall be spoken of for a memorial of her."




1 comment: