Cameron will probably hate this post. Good thing he doesn't spend much time on Facebook anymore! Cameron also hates the idea of a "trophy husband." So I can't call him that. But one of the things I admire about him is his alma mater. (Don't worry, there are so many other reasons why I love him, but today I want to reminisce on VMI.) It's a pretty interesting and fascinating school. When we were in high school and he decided to attend the Virginia Military Institute, I think almost everyone questioned his decision. He just didn't seem to be the type. But Cameron came away with some great stories. They are some of my favorite stories to hear him tell.
Truth be told . . . I felt pretty fancy dating a cadet. But they have a pretty intimidating feeling school. When I came to visit him at school for the first time, I remember being so hesitant. What was allowed? What was a breach of protocol? Was I going to get either of us in trouble? Cameron assured me that VMI was built to breed southern gentleman.
And it really IS a southern school. During the Civil War, VMI cadets, along with the "soon" to be Stonewall Jackson (then a faculty member at the school) were on hand during the execution of John Brown. The military school was even burned by Union troops. That's about as southern as it gets folks!
VMI also looks a little like a castle. But just don't tell any of the students that.
Around the time Cameron and I first started dating, I also found out I had been accepted into the Jerusalem study abroad program. I had wanted to go to the holy land for quite a long time. I also knew, however, that if I went on this study abroad, I would miss Cameron's last semester in Virginia. Which is actually a pretty big deal. You see, I had been hoping that I would get the chance to date him for quite a long time. (That's a whole other story.) When we started dating, we were finally in the same state. If I decided to leave, that meant we only had a few months in the same geographic area before he would graduate and go . . . who knows where. It would also mean we would have very little time to figure anything out. When I told Cameron about the decision I was going to have to make, I remember him saying something like, "If you decide to stay home, I better be worth it." I knew he was worth it. I think I'd known for a while. And I know with all my heart that I made the right choice.
However, a BIG perk of staying home was that I would finally get to go to one of VMI's formal dances! A military ball, in my mind, had to be one of the classiest things a girl would ever get to do in her life. I still regret not taking more pictures. I only got to go once after all! (I'm also realizing that Cameron and I should probably take more pictures. I think I've totally blogged at least one of these before. But whatever. They're going up again.)
Ok, ok. I'll start to wrap this up. I mean, I still want to watch at least one show on Netflix before I call it a night.
But in case you didn't know, Ronald Reagan starred in a few movies all about VMI. You can see one of the trailers here. I mean, that's some real #TBT for you, right?
And in case you're some kind of sicko who wants even more VMI propaganda, this promotional clip started as my inspiration.
Phew. With all this VMI love going on, you'd think I would be the Shedet in this relationship! (It's a good thing I wasn't.)


No comments:
Post a Comment