Thursday, March 6, 2014

Vacation

Sometimes, maybe especially in the mornings, I just complain that all I want to do is go on vacation. I miss summer. It went by so fast last year. I can't wait to feel warm again.

I'm likely not going anywhere exotic anytime soon, but it's still kind of fun to think about what I would do if I could plan any type of get-away.

One of my happiest memories was spending a week or so in the Outer Banks. My family has done that more than once, but one trip in particular comes to mind. There was a loft at the very tippy top of the beach house we rented. My cousin, sister, and I slept there, as I recall. I can vaguely remember the sway of the house as the wind blew. It's almost like a memory you can't quite remember whether or not was real. Maybe that's just the doubts kicking in. Anyway. I loved that place. Laughing. Eating fresh fish. But mostly just being silly with girls I loved. 

As a freshman at BYU, we had a relief society retreat at a cabin that belonged to the family of one of the girls in our ward. This was such a fun get-away filled with chattery conversation in a large lofty upper room. I love cabins. They are totally under-rated as a vacation get-away. But maybe the real theme here is that I miss my girlish friendships.

I think if I were to plan a dream vacation . . . I'd want to rent a house and fill it with all the people who make me laugh. People who I can be myself around. The kind of people, I used to say, I could bare my soul to. I haven't had too many of that kind in my life lately. We'd eat wonderful food (well, stuff like smores, and crepes, anything tasty, really) and, explore whatever location surrounded us. But mostly, we'd just spend time talking. Lots of late nights sharing dreams and being silly.

But of course, we wouldn't go anywhere too far away.

Don't get me wrong. I really do appreciate the times I have been able to travel outside the county. I loved being able to use my high school German when we visited Munich, Salzburg, and Vienna the summer after my senior year. On another trip, I was surprised by how much I liked Paris. (I kind of thought it would be dirty and over-rated.) But I have to say. . . there us something comforting about landing back in the USA. I love it here. And flying isn't my favorite mode of transportation. It's not scary. Just unpleasant. A cruise, on the other hand :)

Anyway. I know this post isn't the best material ever. But it's an excuse to write again. I miss blogging.


No comments:

Post a Comment