Sunday, November 9, 2014

In The Navy

Cue The Village People  . . .

Cameron commissioned with the Navy this week. We had been talking about this for a while, but it seems like the actual "day of" came around rather unexpectedly for me. I got the news last Tuesday after work. Since my chocolate factory has a retail store at the Pentagon, they have military chocolate molds. I had been thinking that one of these chocolates would make the perfect gift for the day Cameron commissioned. Edward Marc was fantastic about accommodating my last minute order.They made up a Navy mold for me in Cameron's favorite, dark chocolate.



Did you know Navy Medical has it's own YouTube channel? I just love this clip:


Mostly, my feelings about the military route have been pretty positive. (I think Cameron and I both secretly like when we sing military songs in church, Battle Hymn of the Republic anyone?)The VMI route seemed a little unconventional for someone wanting to be a doctor, but it's so fun to see all the pieces of Cameron's life story fall together. Before we were married, I had some moments of panic when I seriously thought about deployment. Even still, the thought of losing him is something awful to think about. But, I've heard the military takes such good care of their doctors. I think the training, experience, and opportunities will be incredible. Plus, being debt free and having a little more financial stability to hopefully start a family is a wonderful immediate blessing.

Commissioning at VMI is a pretty big deal. Uniforms, photo ops . . . you know, the whole enchilada. Cameron assured me that his swearing in wasn't going to be quite like that. So for those of you who are wanting a picture . . . no such luck. Cameron didn't even have me attend.

In other news,

On Friday, the company spoiled us with a field trip to the new Snapper factory. We took a school bus and everything. We also got to stop by The Milkshake Factory for free milkshakes. Delicious. These companies are owned by the same family, and it was fun for me to see the chocolate we make on the display counter for the first time.



I was playing around on YouTube the other day. I was hoping to find a clip of Fred Rodgers touring a chocolate factory. I feel like that's something he must have done.

I found this little gem instead. Some guy interviewed a local chocolate factory owner in the style of Fred Rodgers. For some reason it made me laugh way too hard.



1 comment: